It may not feel like it, but its spring and open houses will be blossoming everywhere in the weeks ahead. With so many open houses out there in the spring and summer months how do you make your house stand out? And how do you increase home value before selling? We'll tell you how.
- Hire an inspector: Hire your own inspector before any open houses to fix or update anything that may be found later. Doing this helps prevent dropped sales or reduced selling prices.
- Make the kitchen stand out: One of the biggest selling features in a house is the kitchen. Paint the cabinets rather than redoing them to save money while making the kitchen seem new. Make things shine. This applies to all rooms, but make sure the appliances, sink, counters, and the floors shine. This can be as easy as getting some cleaning supplies and taking a day to clean everything. Update appliances. Buyers want newer appliances, not the ones you've been using for years.
- Improve the lighting: Updating the lighting fixtures can help make a room stand out for a reasonable price. Be sure not to forget ceiling fixtures which are often forgotten and can even have an outdated appeal. Also be sure to replace all the light bulbs with new one to make every room illuminate.
- Update the paint job: Both externally and internally. This is a must if the outside or inside is chipped or has worn paint. Be sure to paint the master bedroom and kitchen, the two most important rooms when selling. Lastly try not to hang up to making objects because this will cause damage and holes to the new paint job.
- Hire a lawn service and/or landscape designer: If you don't have the time yourself, hiring a lawn service helps make the outside of the house look its best. Also by hiring a landscape designer, you'll be able to add more life to the outside of your home giving it that perfect first impression to buyers as they approach your home.
- Additional Storage: Buyers are looking for storage, so be sure to make your house look open, organized, and spacious.
- Finished basement and/or attic: Any additional rooms are big selling features. Rooms that have the flexibility to become a nursery, home office, or additional bedroom make a home sell fast.
- Un-decorate: Buyers want to image themselves in your home, so hide your family photos and resist the urge to decorate.