The Fenway / Kenmore area may be home to “America’s most beloved ballpark,” but Bostonians know that there’s a lot more to the neighborhood then the iconic home of the Boston Red Sox. The 1.24 square mile neighborhood is bursting with vitality thanks to a unique blend of cultural institutions, universities, and the natural beauty bestowed by the Emerald Necklace - a chain of parks linked by parkways and waterways that spreads through Fenway/Kenmore and beyond. Young professionals and students from nearly a dozen colleges and universities located in the neighborhood fill the many bars, restaurants and nightclubs lining the streets of Fenway/Kenmore, giving it a perpetually animated feel. The neighborhood also attracts a cerebral and cultured population of Bostonians who enjoy spending time at the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts and Symphony Hall. It’s a diverse and dynamic area, and has a seemingly endless amount of entertainment making it an appealing neighborhood for those looking at Boston real estate.
But like other neighborhoods in the city, real estate in Fenway/Kenmore is transitioning. Not long ago the majority of housing was student-centric and affordable, but over the last several years a surge of new development has helped establish a prominent luxury real estate market in the neighborhood. Those looking for condos for sale in Fenway/Kenmore can expect to see prices that are approaching those of Back Bay real estate and condos for sale in The South End, and luxury condos in Fenway/Kenmore are now more common than those with basic features and amenities. But for an area that has as much to offer as Fenway/Kenmore, it’s not surprising that demand has increased so significantly. Here’s a list of the top 7 Fenway/Kenmore new construction projects that are adding to the much needed supply of new housing in the popular neighborhood.
This behemoth project had to top our list, mostly because it’s one of the most prominent new construction projects in all of Boston, but also because it’s scheduled to be finished any day now. Here are the details of what this 30-story luxury tower will contribute to luxury real estate in Fenway/Kenmore:
- A mix of 240 rental apartments and 109 condominiums
- 20,000 square feet of retail located at the tower’s base across the first two stories
- An underground parking garage will contain spaces for 80 cars
- Amenities will include a Levity Lounge on the buildings top level, as well as a sky deck with a kitchen and a gas fireplace and a sky top pool, a library, a fitness center and a private dining room
Another massive project underway in the neighborhood is Fenway Center in Kenmore Square. The project will be constructed in two phases, with phase one expected to be completed in early 2020. Here’s what this 1.1 million-square-foot development project will include:
- Five new buildings, including a 27-story tower above the Massachusetts Turnpike
- A total of approximately 550 residential units, 160,000 square feet of office space and over 50,000 square feet of retail
- 30,000 square feet of park and green space
- A seven-story parking garage will include 1,290 parking spaces
- A 12,000-square-foot air rights deck and landscaped pedestrian walkway will be constructed over Yawkey Station as part of phase 1.
Symphony Court Phase Two
This luxury condo building in Fenway/Kenmore is sold out, but it’s worth mentioning because you never know when one of these homes will come back on the market. Here are the details:
- 34 luxury condominium residences
- Amenities include a resident club room, an outdoor community terrace, a fitness center and garage parking
- Residences feature natural light, high ceilings and views of the Boston skyline
- A number of residences feature private decks
This 17-story, recently completed building offers luxury apartments to rent in Fenway/Kenmore. With a convenient location, The Harlo “connects historic legacy with modern city living.” Here are the features:
- 212 luxurious apartment residences ranging from studio to three-bedrooms
- Residences include elegant finishes like exposed concrete ceilings, quartz countertops, hardwood floors, oversized window and panoramic views of Fenway Park, the Charles River and Downtown Boston
- Select homes feature loft floor plans and private terraces
- Amenities include a long with a billiards area and open workspaces, a work and study area, private dining and entertaining space, a fitness center, a library and conference space.
- Multiple private outdoor spaces including a yoga terrace, a fifth-floor outdoor terrace featuring cabanas, a fire pit and grills and a top-level sky deck with sweeping views of the Emerald Necklace, the Boston skyline and Fenway Park
- A two-level underground parking garage with 105 spaces and bicycle storage
839 Beacon Street
Located steps from Kenmore Square, the upcoming apartments at 839 Beacon will have modern amenities but a classic brick-and-bay townhouse look. These Kenmore Square rentals will also have:
- 45 apartment residents and 4,500 square feet of ground-floor retail
- Apartments will include 16 studios, 23 one-bedrooms, 4 two-bedrooms and 2 three-bedrooms
- Homes feature quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, vinyl plank flooring and in-unit laundry
- Amenities include a lounge, meeting room, fitness center, a dog washing station and a roof terrace featuring a kitchen facility on views of the Boston skyline
- 30 parking spaces with Zipcars available on site as well as electric car charging stations
50 Symphony Road
This recently approved building will include modern-contextual design and 20 condominiums for sale in Fenway. Here are the details:
- First-floor residential space will be 6 feet above grade, providing privacy for residents
- 17 condominiums will be market-rate and 3 will be offered to buyers earning 80-100% of Area Media Income (AMI)
- The building’s basement will have parking for 11 vehicles
- All floors are elevator accessible
- Conveniently located to MBTA stations at Symphony (Green Line), Hynes Convention Center (Green Line) and Massachusetts Avenue (Orange Line)
- MBTA Bus lines are just steps away
- Easily walkable to major Boston neighborhoods including Fenway, Copley, Back Bay and South End
These high-end apartments in Fenway were completed a little over a year ago, but are a great option for renting in Boston. The building is right in the heart of the Fenway neighborhood, and offers:
- 32 one and one plus-bedroom apartments
- State-of-the-art finishes
- Garage parking on site
- 4,470 square feet of ground-floor retail space
Residential new construction projects are seemingly ubiquitous in Boston right now - having a massive impact on real estate in The Seaport, East Boston and other neighborhoods that were ripe for rejuvenation. Though Fenway/Kenmore is a well established neighborhood that isn’t seeing quite as many individual projects, new buildings like the Pierce are major-league (pun intended) and are capturing the attention of every Bostonian interested in Boston real estate and general buzz about the city. One thing seems certain, with a number of new luxury housing options and a bright future of growth, buyers are going to be paying much closer attention to real estate in Fenway/Kenmore.
The Charles Realty has had its finger on the pulse of Boston real estate for 34 years. Our agents have unparalleled knowledge of the city and it’s neighborhoods, and oftentimes have access to information not yet made public. For any questions about listings in the aforementioned buildings, other new projects in Boston, the status of projects, availability of new construction homes, or anything pertaining to Boston real estate, please contact us.